Privacy and Security
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Fossil (UK) Limited of Featherstone House, Featherstone Road, Wolverton Mill, Milton Keynes, MK12 5TH.
Personal Information we collect about you
Personal Information is information through which you can be directly or indirectly identified, e.g. your name, your e-mail address and items you purchased if they are connected or could be connected to your name/customer account.
We may collect and process the following Personal Information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Websites. This includes information provided when you register to use our site (such as name, shipping address, date of birth), opt-in to receive our emails, request a catalog, write a review, create a wish list, or download software. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us, or when you report a problem with our site.
- A record of your correspondence if you contact us for information or if you communicate with a customer service representative online or on the phone.
- A record of any surveys that we may also ask you to complete for research purposes. Of course, your participation will always be completely voluntary.
- Details of transactions that you carry out through our Websites or stores and details of our fulfillment of your orders. This includes for example when you make a purchase or order, when you make a return or an exchange or when you send us your product for warranty or repair service.
- We may store details of your visits to the Websites and your electronic interactions with any emails that we send to you ("Usage Data") under a pseudonym (i.e. not under your name but under an ID number), including the pages you visited and services you used. If you want to object to the collection of such Usage Data please send an email to email@example.com. We use such Usage Data to help us learn more about our users’ shopping preferences, to help us address problems with and improve our site design, products and services, to analyse trends and statistics and to ensure that content from our site is presented in the clearest and most friendly manner for you.
- If you ask for an e-receipt in one of our stores we keep your name, email address and details of the purchases you made.
How we use the Personal Information we collect
We can only use your Personal Information in accordance with applicable law, including for the following purposes (further examples are provided above):
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, like fulfilling your online order or processing your warranty and repair requests or your returns and exchanges;
- To provide you with information, products or services which either you request from us, or which we think may interest you (see here for more information);
- To register you for certain activities like sweepstakes or promotions;
- To notify you about changes to our services; and
- To protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business.
Use of Personal Information for Marketing Purposes
We may also use your Personal Information for marketing and market research purposes to learn more about our customers and users. We will only contact you for direct marketing purposes in accordance with applicable laws, meaning that:
- You may receive letters from us, unless you have opted-out of this;
- You may receive e-mails from us for products similar to the ones you have purchased, unless you have opted-out of this; and
- Any further direct marketing contact with you (such as further e-mails, sms messages) requires your prior explicit consent.
You may opt-out of our use of your Personal Information for marketing and market research purposes at any time by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosure/Sharing of your data
Fossil may involve other companies in providing services to you. These other companies might members of the Fossil group or other third party providers.
Third party providers perform various different services, like a shipping company that delivers a package, a payment service provider that enables Fossil to manage their multichannel payment transactions, or a company that helps facilitate our direct marketing communications. In these instances, we will need to share your Personal Information with these companies. Further examples of other services are online surveys, credit checks and supporting and maintaining our IT infrastructure. Where we engage service providers that use Personal Information on behalf of Fossil we will ensure that Personal Information is processed for specific purposes and according to the contractual instructions of Fossil.
We have a centralised IT infrastructure, so data collected through this website is stored in the USA by Fossil, Inc. on our behalf. Other third party providers might also be located in the USA. Fossil will make sure that all recipients protect your personal data according to EU data protection principles, i.e. by concluding EU model clauses or through valid Safe Harbor certification.
In the event that you enter into a sweepstakes or another giveaway, your Personal Information may be shared according to the rules of that particular sweepstake, giveaway or promotion.
Any Personal Information that you include in the text of a product review may be made public in the product review section of the website.
The information contained in your wish list may be shared with the friends and family that you instruct us to share it with.
Cookies and other Technologies
We may use different kind of Cookies for different purposes, which can be categorised as follows:
- Session cookies. These are temporary and are erased when you close your browser at the end of your surfing session. The next time you visit that particular site it will not recognise you and will treat you as a completely new visitor as there is nothing in your browser to let the site know that you have visited before.
- Persistent cookies. These remain on your hard drive until you erase them or they expire. How long a cookie remains on your browser depends on how long the visited website has programmed the cookie to last.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are required for the Website to function and for you to use our services. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log in, use a wish list or store products in a shopping cart.
- Functional cookies. These are used to, for example, recognise you when you return to our site and store information about your preferences, so they allow us to customise our site according to your individual preferences (such as the language chosen by you).
Analytical cookies and behavioral advertising. These cookies may be set by Fossil or third parties, e.g. Google, to analyse how users navigate around the Website (pages visited, links used etc.). They enable us to better understand interests of users and to improve our Website and services. If you want to opt-out from the use of analytical cookies please send an email to email@example.com (for Google, please see the table below). Behavioral advertising and the right to opt-out of their use are explained here.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analysis service provided by Google Inc. ("Google"). The information generated by the cookie (more on that below in the table) is usually sent to a Google server in the USA, where it is stored. On our behalf, Google will use this information to evaluate your use of the website, to compile reports on website activities, and to provide us with additional services connected with Website and Internet use. The IP address transmitted by your browser in connection with Google Analytics is not collated with other data by Google. You have the option of preventing transmission of the data created by the cookie, relating to your use of the website (including your IP address) to Google, and its processing by Google. To do this, you need to download and install the browser plug-in available at the following link (http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en).
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie and give you the option to accept or reject it, or you can set your browser to generally reject cookies. If your browser automatically rejects cookies, you may not be able to conduct some transactions or use some services on our website.
You can find more information about the cookies we use and their purposes in the table below:
|Type of Cookie||Cookie Name||Description|
|Fossil session cookie||REFERRER||This cookie stores the referrer site address in the HTTP header, so we can see which site you came from when you visited our site.|
|Fossil session cookie||WC_ACTIVEPOINTER||This cookie contains the store ID value for the session.|
|Fossil session cookie||SESSION_COOKIEACCEPT||Checks whether your browser accepts cookies.|
|Fossil session cookie||WC_SESSION_ESTABLISHED||This cookie is created on the first interaction with the user that is processed on the site. This establishes the session.|
|Fossil session cookie||WC_GENERIC_ACTIVITYDATA||This cookie is used to store session values such as the language selected, to optimise the website for any user that is not logged in.|
|Fossil session cookie||WC_AUTHENTICATION_ID||This cookie is used to authenticate users over SSL-connections (secure connections that allow sensitive information to be transmitted between the user and web server securely). It has a timestamp to automatically log off a user after a period of inactivity.|
|Fossil session cookie||WC_USERACTIVITY_ID||This cookie is used for user identification over non-SSL connections (connections where no sensivite information is being transmitted between user and web server). It contains user session values such as login timeout, or session identifier.|
|Fossil session cookie||WCToken||Used for user authentication|
|Fossil session cookie||WCTrustedToken||Used for user authentication in encrypted sessions|
|Fossil session cookie||JSESSIONID||This cookie contains the Java/JSP Session ID used for URL rewriting.|
|Fossil persistent cookie||WC_PERSISTENT||This cookie is used to store user ID, language ID, and currency. It remains on your computer after you have ended your session with our website, so that your preferences can be identified when you return.|
|Fossil persistent cookie||USER_ID||Unique number to track guest and registered users.|
|Fossil persistent cookie||USER_TYPE||Used to identify the type of user accessing the site. Values can be G, R or M (guest/generic, registered, remembered)|
|Fossil session cookie||DISPLAY_NAME||Stores your first name (e.g. Martin) during the session if you are a registered user of our site.|
|CoreMetrics is placing cookies so that they may provide us with details about user behaviour on our websites.|
|Coremetrics session cookie||99999999_clogin||Stores a session ID so that if you open a new window or new tab during a session, the existing session values will continue to be active in the new window or tab.|
|Coremetrics session cookie||cmTPSet||Session Cookie used to collect technical properties on 1st pageview of the session (e.g. browser details).|
|Coremetrics session cookie||cmRS||Stores ‘Link Click’ data for you clicked.|
|Coremetrics persistent cookie||CoreID6||Stores a ‘Visitor’ ID value after your session has ended and makes sure we identify your device when you come back to our website.|
|Coremetrics persistent cookie||CoreM_State, CoreM_State_Content||Further cookies used by CoreMetrics to facilitate tracking of session and visitor activities.|
|We are using AKAMAI's services to reduce the loading time of our images for you.|
|AKAMAI session cookies||AKAMAICC, AKDLURL||These cookies assist in finding the closest server to you or your connection. The purpose is to decrease loading time of website images that you request.|
|Google Analytics provides us with information regarding the performance of our websites.|
|Google Analytics persistent cookies||__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including information such as the number of visitors to the site, which site visitors came from and the pages on the site that they visited.|
|These persistent cookies are placed and used by Criteo and Google to assist us with advertising on other websites.|
|Persistent cookies from Criteo and Google Remarketing||acdc, dis, eid, evt, tst, udc, udi, uic, uid, ulc, zdi, OACBLOCK, OACCAP, ID, _drt_, FLC, exchange_uid et alia||These cookies are used to track a user's visits to our website pages, date and time of the first, last and current visit, total time spent on our site and which site our visitors came from.|
Third Party Advertising
- Google: You can find more information about Goggle's re-marketing practices here. If you want to prevent Google from setting cookies and collecting data for behavioral advertising, you may deactivate this setting by visiting this page. Please note that Google is storing data on the servers in the USA. Google participates in the US - EU Safe Harbor framework to provide an adequate level of protection of Personal Information processed in the USA.
Fossil will keep your Personal Information for as long as necessary to carry out the services or for as long as we are required by law. After this your Personal Information will be deleted. We cannot remove your Personal Information when there is a legal storage requirement, such as accounting rules or when there are other legal grounds to keep the data, such as an ongoing contractual relationship.
Fossil has implemented a variety of security measures to prevent unauthorised access to Personal Information collected through our Website, in our stores and over the phone, etc. For example, we store your Personal Information on computer servers that are located in controlled facilities and that have limited access. We have set up technical security measures such as browser encryption, routers and firewalls to safeguard Personal Information against unauthorised access.
Please be advised, however, that no security system is impenetrable/fail-proof. The secure servers are not generally accessible by unauthorized third parties, but could become accessible in the event of a security breach. Fossil has no control over the security of computers or other electronic devices of others or over the means you use to send emails and submit information to Fossil over the Internet. Therefore, Fossil cannot ensure safety regarding the disclosure or interception of your information before it is received by Fossil.
Links to other materials
If you are offered a link to connect to a third-party website, it is for the convenience of our Website visitors at the request of the respective third-party site owner. Sites linked to and from this Website are not necessarily under the control of Fossil and Fossil has no responsibility for the content or privacy practices of any such linked site or service. We recommend you to read the privacy policies of those third parties to see how your information is handled.
Access to your Personal Information
This Website gives you the ability to view and change the Personal Information you provided to us within the My Account section of the Website. You may access information we hold about you, request a correction where data is incorrect or a deletion of your data, unless we have to keep your data for legal reasons. For any inquiries please use firstname.lastname@example.org or our contact form or our help desk under 0344 412 327.
How to contact us
Please address any questions or concerns regarding our Privacy Program/Policy/Statement/Practices or our practices concerning Personal Information to:
Fossil (UK) Ltd
Alternatively please feel free to directly contact our US Compliance Department:
Attention: Chris King
Chief Compliance Officer
901 S. Central Expressway
Richardson, TX 75080